Cirkit and Stepper Motor with Nano

Hi

Is there someplace a example or tutorial in using a Nano to run a small stepper motor and using A4988 driver etc.
Does Cirkit run ok on Linux Mint 17 ?

Thanks
Charles Harris

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your post!

I don’t think we have an A4988 driver in our parts library yet, but I will add that as part of our update we are releasing next week.

Also, yes, Cirkit Studio should work for Linux Mint! You can download from the Snap store, which I believe is available for Mint.

I’ll try to get back to you tomorrow or Thursday with some examples / references running a stepper motor to help you get started on your project.

Best,

Austin

Hi Austin
Thanks for info. Look forward to seeing the new parts and info.

Have found that my LinuxMint17 is too old. Looking to upgrade and then install Cirkit.

Charles

In the library is there a generic drawing for a small say nema 8 or similar 4 wire only.

Thanks

Charles

Hi Charles,

I just added the A4988 to our parts library, so it should be available to you some time next week once we push our update.

In the mean-time, here is a wiring diagram for the Nano + A4988 + Nema stepper.
I’ll attach the .cirkit file as well next week once we push the update and the new parts are available.

For the wiring diagram below, I found a tutorial online that seems to be pretty good (link).

Also, you may already know this, but for anyone else reading I wanted to explicitly mention that you should be careful with the power connections.

• You can power the Arduino with an external 6-12V supply, but the Arduino power should be separate from the motor power.
  • You can power the Nema17 with a 12V input (rated to 350 mA).
  • Just to reiterate, the positive power rail on the left side of the breadboard should not be connected to the positive power rail on the right side of the breadboard.

I’ll let you know as soon as we push our next update.

Please let me know how this goes, and if there’s anything else I can help with.

Austin

Thanks for that . Kool

The plug in the gray at the bottom of f column is the 12 volt power pack ?

If I do not use the 4xAA power pack and plug in the usb instead is that ok ?

Thanks

Charles

Sure thing!

That’s correct that the plug at the bottom of f column is the 12V power pack (I updated the image above with an annotation as well).

Yep, plugging USB into the Arduino will work just fine.

Best,

Austin